The Druid Information
The loco was manufactured by Motor Rail in 1941 as a Simplex 20hp. Built originally with a very basic cab and body as MR8644, named Druid and supplied to the MOD. The Abbey Light Railway in Leeds acquired the loco in 1999 and retained the chassis and transmission. A new Perkins diesel engine was fitted and new bodywork was fashioned to accommodate the upgraded machinery. The distinctive blue livery, with white stripes, has made Druid instantly recognisable and a favourite of many railway enthusiasts.